a modern mountain town with culture like no other
Come explore the richness of our culture
Home to America’s oldest Elizabethan theatre and SOU, Ashland’s long cultural history is built upon innovation, theatre, education and wellness. Enjoy 365 days of theatre, a thriving artist community and art galleries and museums offering a diverse range of fine art from around the world. Attend independent films, markets, festivals , live music and explore a diverse shopping experience with Ashland’s eclectic collection of sophisticated shops.
Ashland is an International City of Peace, joining 161 cities worldwide. You can visit the Ashland World Peace Flame that burns eternally on the SOU Campus. Enjoy discovering on foot or on bike, from Downtown to the Historic Railroad District and Southern Oregon University’s campus. Use Story Maps for self-guided tours of Ashland’s history, Lithia Park trails, trees of the year, Public art and more.
Learn from Ashland’s culture with one of these fun itinerary ideas…
- Shop art galleries and shops in the Historical Downtown or Railroad Districts
- Take a Self-Guided Tour: Public Art or Trees of the Year
- Tour SOU’s campus, home to the Schneider Museum of Art, Oregon Center for the Arts, Chamber Music Concerts and Rogue Valley Symphony
- Take a Backstage tour at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
- Check out the local, live music scene with talented, local musicians read more here